Kermit’s Swamp Years is a 2002 direct-to-video buddy comedy-drama road adventure film directed by David Gumpel, starring the Muppets created by Jim Henson, including a young version of Kermit the Frog and his best friends Croaker and Goggles, who go out of their homes of the Deep South to do new things for the first time in their lives.
The movie, as a prequel to The Muppet Movie, tells us of Kermit’s origins. It premiered on the Starz network on August 18, 2002, before being eventually released on VHS and DVD by Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment on September 3, 2002.
- Steve Whitmire as Kermit, Young Kermit, Jack Rabbit, Chico the Frog
- Joey Mazzarino as Goggles, Turtle 1
- Bill Baretta as Croaker, Horace D’Fly, Roy, Turtle 2
- Alice Dinnean as Vicki, Kermit’s Mom (puppeteer), Pilgrim (puppeteer)
- John Kennedy as Arnie, Blotch, Monkey
- Dave Goelz as Young Waldorf
- Jerry Nelson as Young Statler
- William Bookston as Wilson
- John Hostetter as Hugo Krassman
- Christian Kebbel as Young Jim Henson
- Kelly Collins Lintz as Mary
- Cree Summer as Voices of Pilgrim/Kermit’s Mom/Star
The movie was released on DVD September 3, 2002 to mixed reviews; praise was directed towards the Muppet performances, while the human cast received some mixed reactions. However, I still enjoyed the movie,