Planes is a 2013 computer-animated sports comedy film directed by Klay Hall. It stars the voices of Dane Cook as crop-duster-turned-air racer Dusty Crophopper, Stacy Keach (Air Mater) as his mentor Skipper, Priyanka Chopra as Ishani, the Pan-Asian champion, and his love interest, Brad Garrett (Finding Nemo) as Chug, a fuel truck, Teri Hatcher as Dottie, a forklift, Carlos Alazraqui as El Chupacabra, a Mexican plane, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (A Bug's Life) as Rochelle, Danny Mann as Skipper's assistant Sparky, John Cleese as Bulldog, a British plane, Roger Craig Smith as Ripslinger, Dusty's rival and the main antagonist, Cedric the Entertainer (Madagascar) as Leadbottom, a biplane and the founder of Vitaminamulch, Sinbad as Roper, the referee of the Wings Around the Globe, and Val Kilmer & Anthony Edwards as Bravo and Echo, respectively. Although not technically a Pixar movie, it was co-written and executive produced by John Lasseter. The movie follows Dusty, who dreams of being a racer, while he is a crop duster and despite his acrophobia, and eventually, he gets his chance with help from Skipper, and meets fellow racers on his way. During racing, he overcomes his fear of heights and faces against three-time champion Ripslinger.
The movie was released on August 9, 2013, and despite receiving negative reviews, who criticized the recycled plot, but praised the animation, idea, and action, while the voice acting received both praise and criticism, the movie became a box office success, grossing $239 million.
- Dane Cook as Dusty Crophopper, an orange and white plane whose design is based on the Cessna and the PZL-Mielec M-18 Dromader, with 680½ horsepower, one propeller, and a wingspan that is 23 feet (7 meters), and the main protagonist.
- Stacy Keach as Skipper, Dusty’s mentor and the deuteragonist.
- Priyanka Chopra as Ishani, a Pan-Asian champion from India and Dusty’s love interest, and the tritagonist.
- Brad Garrett as Chug, a fuel truck who is Dusty’s friend.
- Teri Hatcher as Dottie, a forklift who is Dusty’s mechanic.
- Carlos Alazraqui as El Chupacabra, a Mexican indoor racing champion who has romantic feelings for Rochelle.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Rochelle, a French-Canadian airplane and El Chu’s love interest.
- Roger Craig Smith as Ripslinger, Dusty’s rival and the main antagonist.
- John Cleese as Bulldog, a British racing plane.
- Danny Mann as Sparky, an employee at Skipper’s Flight School, and Skipper’s assistant./Roscoe (or Skycam 1), a Racing Sports Network reporter.
- Cedric the Entertainer as Leadbottom, a biplane and the proprietor of Vitaminamulch, a special—albeit putrid—blend of vitamins, minerals, and mulch that works miracles when sprayed on crops.
- Sinbad as Roper, the WATG referee.
- Val Kilmer as Bravo, a fighter jet.
- Anthony Edwards as Echo, another fighter jet.
- Oliver Kalkofe as Franz/Von Fleigenhozen, an Aerocar and a huge fan of Dusty’s.
- Brent Musburger as Brent Mustangburger, an announcer working for Racing Sports Network. He also appears in Cars 2.
- Colin Cowherd as Colin Cowling, a blimp who is the co-announcer of the Wings Around the Globe Rally.
- John Ratzenberger as Harland, Tripp’s jet tug.
The film was not very well-received by critics, who criticized the recycled plot, and felt the stereotypes were blatant, but praised the animation, idea of a vehicle movie set in the Cars world and action, with the voice acting receiving both criticism and praise. It got a score of 25% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a score of 39 out of 100, which means “generally negative reviews”. However, I liked the movie, praising the characters, animation, voice acting, and idea of a vehicle movie set in the world of Cars as well, along with the score by Mark Mancina, with a positive 8 out of 10.
Why I Love It
- The animation is great, and it is a massive step up from Pixar's first fourteen movies.
- Great voice acting.
- I love the characters, even Dusty Crophopper, Skipper, Chug, and Dottie.
- Awesome soundtrack.
- It's cool that Brent Mustangburger from Cars 2 made an appearance.
- Some funny moments.
- Skipper's backstory was very sad.
- El Chupacabra's cover of "Love Machine" was awesome.
- The action is awesome.
- The sequel is great and even better.
- The story is pretty decent.
- The idea of a vehicle movie similar to Cars is very interesting.