Toy Story is a 1995 computer-animated buddy comedy adventure film directed by John Lasseter. It focuses on a vintage cowboy doll, Woody (voice of Tom Hanks), and an astronaut action figure, Buzz Lightyear (voice of Tim Allen), who evolve from rivals fighting for the affections of their owner Andy Davis to best friends who work together to reunite with him after being lost.
- Tom Hanks: Woody, a vintage pull-string cowboy doll and the main protagonist.
- Tim Allen: Buzz Lightyear, a space ranger action figure, who was Woody's rival, but then became his best friend, and the deuteragonist.
- Don Rickles: Mr. Potato Head, a cynical, irratable, and moody potato-shaped toy with replaceable parts on his body.
- Jim Varney: Slinky Dog, a a wooden toy daschund with a graveled Southern accent.
- Wallace Shawn: Rex, an anxiety-riddled, plastic Tyrannosaurus, who hates being abandoned.
- John Ratzenberger: Hamm, a wisecracking piggy bank.
- Annie Potts: Bo Peep, a porcelain shepherdess figure and Woody's girlfriend.
- John Morris: Andy Davis, Woody and Buzz's owner.
- Erik von Detten: Sid Phillips, the toy-torturing neighbor of Andy, and the main antagonist.
- Laurie Metcalf: Mrs. Davis, Andy's mom.
- R. Lee Ermey: Sarge, the leader of a large troop of green toy army men.
- Sarah Freeman: Hannah Phillips, Sid's younger sister.
- Penn Jilette: Buzz Lightyear commercial announcer
- Joe Ranft: Lenny, a wind-up pair of binoculars.
The movie recieved critical acclaim, with critics praising the animation, screenplay, story, score by Randy Newman, characters, humor and thematic sophistication, and the voice performances by Tom Hanks & Tim Allen. It went on to be one of the best animated movies of all time.
Why I Love It
- Groundbreaking and amazing CGI animation, even for the time of release.
- Great voice acting. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen did an awesome job each as Woody and Buzz, respectively.
- John Morris did a great job as Andy, and Erik von Detten did a nice job as Sid, who's the main antagonist.
- Amazing score by the great Randy Newman.
- The humor is funny.
- The concept about toys coming to life is really fun and creative.
- The story is great with really good morals.
- Awesome and memorable characters.
- Timeless theme song ("You've Got a Friend in Me").
- The scene where Buzz realizes that he's a toy and has a mental breakdown is both very funny and sad at the same time.
- "To infinity and beyond!" is a great line that gets even better every time.
- The sequels that followed it were just as good.
- Mr. Potato Head can be kind of a jerk at some points.
After the movie's success, it spawned two sequels, Toy Story 2, released on November 24, 1999, and Toy Story 3, which was released on June 18, 2010. A fourth movie, Toy Story 4, will be released on June 21, 2019.